I would like to append here a little more..
Before we design Employee Engagement activities, we should analyze need & principles of such platform. Budget, no. of activities in a month, execution requisites should be handy while planning.
Engagement activities provides employees to touch base with employees of different dept's & take a small break without affecting the work, environment & productivity of the organization.
some of the activities are as under:
1. Bithday celebration: all b'day of the month could be celebrated on last working day of the month
2. Festival celebration: state wise festival could be celebrated with same zeal & spirit
3. Coffee with HR: open discussion forum where employees could chat with HR on policy, process, procedure, entitlement, etc clarity
4. Quiz: online or offline or both
5. Top mgmt mass addressing on team/group bases every quarter so as to set connection b/w mgmt & employees
other initiatives from HRD could comprise of: HR News letter concentrating on new events, employee personal info sharing [addition/deletion in family], short motivational stories, learning & development emails [various effectiveness ppt], annual excursion/ trips, family get together, annual day celebration, PAT announcement party.
We should always keep our motive, feasibility, employees interest, budget & execution feasibility in mind.